The Christine Mowat Plain Language Achievement Award is an international award recognizing an outstanding contribution to advancing plain language.
- to recognize a significant contribution to advancing plain language at the local, regional, national, or international levels
- to honour the outstanding contribution of past president and former winner of the PLAIN International Award
PLAIN generally presents the award every two years at the international conference. The winner receives:
- an engraved presentation award
- a certificate
- public acknowledgement of their achievements on the PLAIN website and other PLAIN communication channels
The Board does not have to present an award at every conference, and may present more than one award.
The Christine Mowat Plain Language Achievement Award will be presented to a person or organization who has significantly advanced plain language as a professional through their work and represented the profession of plain language with the highest integrity and skill.
A person’s plain language work can be in any language and take a variety of forms:
- significant research in the field of plain language
- extensive experience in developing and presenting plain language training
- extensive experience in writing or editing documents using plain language
- a body of publications about plain language
- successful leadership in public plain language projects
- significant volunteer contribution to a plain language organization
Eligibility and Judging
To be eligible for the Award, a recipient will generally be a PLAIN member. Serving PLAIN Board members are not eligible for the award.
To select a winner, the PLAIN Board does one or more of the following:
- calls for nominations from members
- establishes a selection committee chaired by a PLAIN Board member
- discusses it at a Board meeting
To be considered, a person must be nominated by a PLAIN member. Their nomination must:
- be in writing (maximum of 5 pages total for nominating and supporting documents)
- document the nominee’s achievements, referring to the criteria shown above
- be supported by another PLAIN member and at least one other individual active in the plain-language profession but not necessarily a member of PLAIN
Who is Christine Mowat?
In 2011, PLAIN recognized the outstanding contribution of past President and former winner of the PLAIN International Award by renaming our award the Christine Mowat Plain Language Achievement Award.