PLAIN is growing and we are looking for a managing editor to help us shape, edit and publish PLAIN’s e-journal, which is one of our major assets for members. The journal is published twice a year.
This is a freelance position that will work independently but in coordination with PLAIN’s different committees. Are you interested in working for PLAIN? Read on to learn about the support we need.
As a Managing Editor, you will:
- Work with the PLAIN to set direction for the publication and future issues.
- Contribute content ideas and contact potential contributors as appropriate. May occasionally contribute original work to the publication.
- Manage production of each issue from beginning to end, ensuring that timelines are met.
- Ensure articles are relevant to the theme of each issue and collaborate with contributors to ensure their work meets editorial standards and practices.
- Directly edit each issue, liaising with contributors, incorporating feedback and edits, and then liaising with the graphic designer.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
Your concrete tasks will include:
1. Producing the e-journal
a. proposing topics for issues to the PLAIN board members and
b. writing and posting calls for submissions
c. managing publications inbox
d. commissioning articles from authors as needed
e. receiving proposals and responding to them
f. substantive/developmental editing and working with authors (first
round of editing)
g. copy-editing with house style (second round of editing)
coordinating final proofreading (third round of editing)
h. coordinating foreword with PLAIN president
i. writing introduction to journal
j. coordinating layout/timeline with designer
k. coordinating publishing with PLAIN comms committee (website,
email to members)
2. Internal communication
a. managing all timelines
b. updating style guide and contributor guide as needed
c. managing files in Dropbox
3. Sponsor work
a. reaching out to potential sponsors
b. coordinating sponsor/ad files
c. cooperation with PLAIN’s treasurer to collect sponsor contributions
As our managing editor, you will work in a remote environment with people from around the world.
Qualified candidates must have
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and three years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in plain language.
- Strong written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work a minimum of 25 hours per issue, including sponsor outreach.
- Ability to invoice PLAIN.
We are looking for people who have:
- Ability to work creatively and independently as well as part of a team, including taking creative feedback from other members of the PLAIN board.
- Connection to the plain language community.
- Knowledge of other languages.
- Proficiency with cloud storage software, authoring and co-editing software, and team collaboration apps such as Slack.
- Professional email etiquette (clear, friendly, helpful)
- Ability to meet timelines.
- Ability to work remotely.
- Ability to work with people from various cultures and backgrounds.
May be required to work occasional evenings and weekends.
This is a one-year term appointment with the potential for renewal.
The pay rate is USD 25-30 per hour, depending on experience.
We encourage individuals who are members of or identify with underrepresented and/or marginalized populations, including people of color, LGBTQ+, ability/disability and non-binary gender identities, among others, to apply.
Think you’re a good fit? Please send us:
- your CV/resume
- a letter of motivation describing why you would be the perfect fit for this position.
- 2 references
Send application material to email@example.com. The deadline for applications is November 25, 2022 The chosen candidate will start as early as December 2022.
We look forward to hearing from you!