We are pleased to announce an exciting leadership opportunity in the PLAIN community. This autumn we will have 4 seats on the PLAIN board of directors to fill. If you, or someone you know, are interested in shaping the future of plain language, read on to learn about the requirements and nomination process.
Why become a board member?
Becoming a board member is a great way to influence PLAIN’s direction and to help develop plain language around the world. You will find it personally and professionally rewarding.
It will bring you into regular contact with colleagues globally and keep you up to date on major plain language initiatives. Without active board members, PLAIN could not run its discussion forums, e-journal, conferences and web site.
Who is eligible for election?
To join the PLAIN Board, you must:
- have been a member in good standing for at least one year
- support PLAIN’s objectives
- be able to join our board meetings (by video conference, usually every 2-3 months)
- have time available to contribute to committee work between meetings
- have a working level of English (our organizational language)
- have no conflict of interest in serving on the Board.
How long does a director serve?
Board members serve for 3-year terms and can serve for up to 6 years.
What skills does PLAIN need?
We will consider all applications. We are also specifically seeking candidates with skills and experience in:
- membership strategy
- conference and event planning
- social media and marketing
- websites and WordPress.
What is the nomination process?
To register your nomination, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on 20 September. Be sure to include in the email:
- a description of about 100 words on your qualifications and what you can contribute to the board
- a CV or link to your website/LinkedIn profile
- the names of 2 current members OR 2 professional references who support the application.
You can nominate yourself or another member. If you want to nominate someone else, please make sure they are willing to serve.
When does voting take place?
Members will vote at our Annual General Meeting in October. Members will receive information on each of the nominees in advance. We will announce the results at the AGM. New board members begin their terms immediately after the meeting.
If you have any questions about running for the board of directors, send a message to email@example.com.
We would also like to thank Diane Macgregor, Jana Goldman, Marie Antaya and Miguel Martinho for their service on the PLAIN board. They have contributed immensely to the progress that PLAIN has made in recent years.
We look forward to receiving your nominations!
PLAIN Board of Directors