Plain Language Association International (PLAIN) brings together plain language supporters and practitioners from around the world.
We’re a nonprofit organization run entirely on a volunteer basis.
Our growing network includes members from over 20 countries working in clear communication in more than 10 languages.
PLAIN is the international association for plain language professionals that promotes clear communication in any language.
- Increase public awareness of plain language as a means of making communications from government, business, industry, the professions (including the medical, legal, information management, education and communications professions), and community organizations accessible internally and to a broad, public audience.
- Help people understand and use plain language principles.
- Promote the use of plain language within Canada* and internationally.
- Promote research and development in plain language.
- Promote the interests of plain language specialists.
- Develop standards and practices for the plain language field.
- Provide services for members, including marketing, networking, conferences, and communications.
- Sponsor an international email forum through which members and others can exchange ideas about plain language.
- Collaborate with organizations that have complementary objectives.
- Fulfill other purposes that complement these objectives.
* PLAIN is a nonprofit organization incorporated in Canada.
PLAIN was incorporated in Canada as a nonprofit organization in July 2008.
In 2014, PLAIN passed a revised bylaw and articles of continuance to comply with Canada’s new law governing nonprofit organizations.